Pages

Monday 15 July 2013

Rock Werchter 2013: sun, songs and sweat

source: http://www.festivalblog.be/sites/default/files/logo's%20festivals/2013/rw%202013.jpg
I'm a bit late with this, since the festival was last week, but I went to Rock Werchter for one day and I wanted to share my experience anyway.

Rock Werchter is one of the biggest pop- and rock festivals in the world. It takes place in a little Belgian town called Werchter and it's just 4 days of fun and music. Due to circumstances I was only able to go on Friday, but besides that it was an awesome experience. The weather was nice and the music also, so what else do you need, eh?

I was there with friends and I saw a lot less artists than I wanted. (I missed The Lumineers and Ben Howard.) But I'm going to give you a quick review of some of the concerts that I have attended.




source: http://www.humo.be/rock-werchter/247165/review-keha-op-rock-werchter-2013-klub-c
Firstly we went to see Ke$ha in 'club C'. To be honest, I don't really like Ke$ha and I've heard she is terrible live, so I went there with very, very low expectations. Maybe it's because of that, but it was a pretty good gig… Of course she doesn't have a very good voice, but I forgive her for that, since the show was awesome. Although it was a bit… eh… special: the dancers were dressed up as women and it was all about sex. She did seem to have a lot of fun on stage and it all looked spontaneous, which I always like in a performance.

I'd give this performance 3/5.


Next up was Major Lazer. This performance has set the place on fire with their funky reggae-beats. It was a brilliant gig, one of the best I've seen so far. The crowd did whatever the guys from Major Lazer demanded and it was just one hour of fun, dancing and a lot of sweat. The graphics were awesome as well and Jillionaire and Walshy Fire even did some crowd-surfing in giant balls. The dancing was a bit provocative at times, but what else do you expect with a song called 'Bubble Butt'?

I'd give this performance 5/5

source: http://www.rockwerchter.be/frontend/files/photofeed/465x309/1373064677815_2da0186e5b9cc3e1d43a24b388615c93.jpg
The last band I'll write about, before this post gets too long, is Kings of Leon. They were the stars of the night... or at least, they should've been. I'm quite a fan of them, but they've really let a whole lot of people, including me, down. Their singing was really good and although they only played like a minute of it, their hit 'Sex on Fire' got everyone singing along, but their performance was pretty crappy. Actually, there wasn't a performance, they were just singing their songs without any feeling or enthusiasm. They barely even said "hello" to the crowd. I'll probably never go to another gig of them, but I'm glad I've seen them live though and I'll stay a fan of their music.

I'd give this performance 3,5/5



Have you been to any festivals or gigs this summer? 

-E

Follow our blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment